BELLEWSTOWN RACECOURSE, Co. Meath
(Gaelic: Slieve Baile na gCailleach. Meaning: The Town of the Hags)
Quick Facts about Bellewstown
The first record of racing at the course appeared in the August edition of the Dublin Gazette and Weekly Courier in 1726.
In 1780 George Tandy, the mayor of Drogheda and brother of the patriot Napper Tandy, persuaded King George III to sponsor a race at Bellewstown. The race was called His Majesty’s Plate and was valued at £100, a large sum back then. All the English monarchs sponsored a race at the course until 1980.
In 1975, peerless punter, Barney Curley, pulled off a major betting coup at Bellewstown with Yellow Sam.
What's rare is beautiful and Irish racegoers certainly show their appreciation of this precious jewel in the racing calendar by turning out in droves for the Bellewstown meetings in early July and mid-August.
An evening spent there is a taste of something a little bit special, with racing in a beautiful, rustic, rural setting on the Hill of Crockafotha boasting magnificent views of the Mountains of Mourne to the North and the Irish Sea to the East. Racing there epitomises summer sport, and is evocative of the smell of strawberries and cream and freshly mown hay. It may be small in stature but it's big in heart and atmosphere and is a place where followers of racing can fall in love with it again.
The course is a one mile and one furlong, left handed oval featuring flat and hurdle racing.
For more details, see www.bellewstownraces.ie